Become an Associate
The National Academy for Education Leadership is committed to ensuring that Wales is a great place to be an educational leader and that, through high quality leadership across the educational system, we deliver our nations bold ambition for learners.
Developing effective system leadership is central to the education reform journey described in Our National Mission and is at the heart of the work we are taking forward in Wales through our flagship Associate model. Our vision for 2026 describes system leaders driving self-improvement, with professionals collaborating and leading beyond organisational structures, between tiers and across sectors.
Due to increased investment from the Minister for Education and Welsh Language and the Welsh Government we are increasing the number of Associates we are recruiting to cohort 5 and expanding the leaders we are interested in. We are now welcoming applications from:
- Assistant Headteachers
- Deputy Headteachers
- Senior leaders from the youth work sector
- Senior leaders from Post Compulsory Education & Training (includes further education, adult community learning and work-based learning).
Deadline for applications 17 June.
Find out more about the role of the Associate and how to apply in our application guide.
- Professional learning experiences comprising of sessions led by other associates, government officials and leadership experts from education and beyond
- The opportunity to complete a commission focusing on a key priority of Wales’ education journey
- Webinars from recognised leaders from across the globe, with content specifically targeted at your commission focus. Previous speakers have included: Professor Steve Munby CBE, Professor Mick Waters, Professor Laura McAllister and Professor Michael Fullan.
- Being part of the panel that quality assures leadership development provision for the education sector in Wales
- The opportunity to challenge and influence education policy through engagement with high level government officials
- Professional learning which concentrates on key system leadership skills including facilitation, coaching, mentoring and quality assurance
- Priority access to all Leadership Academy events and an opportunity to develop your facilitation skills further by leading discussion groups and facilitating question and answer sessions with prominent names from the leadership world
The expected time commitment required to carry out the role will vary across weeks and according to the interest and expertise of the Associate but is expected to be approximately one day a week for the first year with a commitment to a second year.
- Deadline for applications – 17th June 2022 12:00 noon
- Selection panel interviews – 22nd – 30th June 2022
- Candidates informed of the outcome from the selection panel – 4th July 2022
- Associate role begins – 1st September 2022
To apply please send your application and supporting evidence to email@example.com
The Leadership Academy welcomes applications from candidates who can demonstrate their capability as an Associate in English or Welsh.
Download application guide